Friday, July 08, 2005

Piltdown Hoax: The Dawn of Man

I read about the Piltdown Hoax as a kid and have always been fascinated with the story of amateur scientists in turn of the century England perpetrating a massive fraud claiming to have found the "missing link", that included a famous author, an existentialist priest, crushed careers and reputations, and even a death-bed confession. Why this isn't a movie I do not know! I wanted to start (yet another) band called Piltdown Hoax but now I'm old(er), married, a soon-to-be-father, a "professional" (whatever), so my hopes of ever being cool are as dead as, well Piltdown Man. So my only consolation is to title my blog Piltdown Hoax dedicated to my ADD interests which always seem to include the act of hacking, gerryrigging, jigging, duct-taping, hybriding, remixing, fusing, crazyglueing, jacking, spackling, cracking, breaking, welding, melding, fluxing and generally screwing ideas and objects together to create something...else. So I think Piltdown Hoax is a fitting title for this blog since not only does it conjure the fusing of disparate, albeit genetically similar, things together, it too is a massive fraud.
Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home